District Thirteen generates over two billion dollars of agricultural products a year. Agriculture is important to us.
Here are important points I believe.
Trade is essential for Eastern Washington agriculture.
- Work on improving our infrastructure and ensuring that government policies do not put unfair burdens on agriculture producers, processors, and transporters.
- Lobby so we can freely and fairly export our products.
Water is also essential for Eastern Washington agriculture.
- Support improvements to irrigation projects using the Yakima River.
- Support North I-90 Odessa Aquifer Groundwater Replacement Project
- Support fair and sustainable ways to ease the depletion of the Odessa Aquifer
Here are other things I think we should do.
- Educate people on the unique benefits and challenges of farming in Eastern Washington.
- Support the continued growth of Washington State University extension services.
- Ensure that farmers are involved in the development of agricultural regulations or government policies that would affect agriculture.
- Develop programs to help small and medium sized farms survive and compete.
- Protect the health and safety of our famers and farm laborers.
One of our grandsons wants to come back and be a farmer.